Monday, February 21, 2011

Isabella's D.A.R.E. Graduation

Hi all,

Last Wednesday evening, 2/16/11, Isabella, who is in 5th grade, had her D.A.R.E. (www.dare.com/home/default.asp) graduation. For those of you who don't know, D.A.R.E. stands for Drug Awareness Resistance Education. It's a GREAT program. For Isabella's school, one student in each of the four 5th grade classes was picked to read their D.A.R.E. Essay at the graduation. Isabella's essay was picked and she did a GREAT job reading it. (really great, clear, articulate, wasn't nervous) We are really proud of her! Way to go Isabella!

Here is a copy of her essay below:

Isabella
Hyndman
#12
D.A.R.E Essay

Hi my name is Isabella Hyndman. I am a fifth grade student participating in the D.A.R.E program. The D.A.R.E program is a class that involves preventing the use of drugs and violence. The D.A.R.E program makes me feel confident that I will make the right choices about not using drugs or getting into violence. I feel that the D.A.R.E program has important lessons that will keep kids drug free. I have learned many things through the D.A.R.E program such as how to deal with peer pressure or just somebody pushing you into using drugs.

My knowledge about how to deal with drugs and violence has improved since starting in the D.A.R.E program. One thing I have learned is that when someone is trying to get you to try drugs you should just refuse, tell them what some of the bad things that can happen to you are, and get your friends out of the situation if you need to also. Another thing I have learned during the D.A.R.E program is how to handle peer pressure. A lot of times it depends on what kind of peer pressure it is. If it’s peer pressure from friends it might be better to just respond nicely when you say no. If it’s serious peer pressure from someone you don’t know as well you should still refuse but if that does not work you should tell an adult.

In the D.A.R.E program I have also learned about the nasty side affects that can come with taking certain drugs like tobacco or any kind of cigarette. First you might start to have yellow teeth or fingernails. Secondly you might have shortage of breathe or other really serious health problems. Then finally you will have bad breathe and may have more wrinkles. You should stay drug free for many reasons. For one thing it causes serious health problems and nasty side affects. Another important reason why you should stay drug free is because not only does it affect you but all of the people that are around you. An example of this would be when someone smokes they spread second hand smoke. My commitment to staying drug free is very important to me. The D.A.R.E program encourages me to just say no to drugs and help any other people who are in a peer pressure situation as well.

I think over all the D.A.R.E program is a great program that encourages people to stay away from drugs and violence.

I'll post some pics at a later time.
Blessings:)
Amy

1 comment:

  1. I'm very proud of you, Isabella...and I'm so glad I get to be your teacher this year. Keep up the awesome work!
    Warmly,
    Mr. H.

    ReplyDelete