Monday, November 8, 2010

Update November 8, 2010

Hi all,

Well, Halloween was a lot of fun. Isabella had a GREAT time dressing up and trick-or-treating with her friends and Greg. Nick sat on the porch and enjoyed handing out candy. He's really great with kids and he really seemed to like seeing them all. It was nice for our parents to come by and we had a nice meal to top it off.

Last week, Nick started her driving with the special driving instructor from an agency called Capabilities in St.Mary's, Ohio (about an hour a way from our home). (www.capabilitiesinc.biz) He's doing well and it's going to be a process, but if everyone stays healthy and the weather cooperates, Nick may be ready to take his driving exam for his license by December. It's amazing how much expertise his instructor has and we're glad he's got someone like this helping him and grateful for his suggestions.

Nick also started wrestling practices. If anyone is interested in following their website, Perrysburg High School Wrestling, www.phswrestling.org , and you can sign up to receive e-mails, etc. They also have a Facebook page you can follow. I've already had requests for his schedule and so far we don't have it and it's not on the website yet as of today. I can post it when I receive it or as I receive more info.

Isabella had her school conference last Friday (parent-teacher conferences), which in the 5th grade, are student-led. Greg had to work but I went and you could tell she put a lot of preparation time into it. It was very cute as she first introduced us to each other and then went over her work and goals, etc. Her teacher had only great things to say. One of the many great things he said was how "compassionate" Isabella is. This is no surprise to us as we know she is very kind and compassionate but it was nice that her teachers are seeing it too!:)

This past weekend was busy. Isabella attended her first sibshop meeting on Saturday and loved it. For more information on sibshops ( I know I've already posted about them!), check out www.siblingsupport.org. She had a lot of fun and went on and on telling me all of the fun things they did. She is looking forward to the next meeting in January. There were about 10 kids in her age range who attended the group this week.

Then we attended a friend's 40th birthday party at the Shoreland Park Shelter house, which has been recently newly built (re-built). This is the neighborhood I grew up in from 3rd grade until I got married, so it was right down the street from our old house and I (we) spent LOTS of days at this park and walked to and from school through the park, often cutting across the creek when it was frozen. I know, not safe, and I wouldn't recommend it, but we did it! The kids then had a sleep-over with their cousins and yesterday, we had a nice dinner at my sister's house with her family and our parents, a spur of the moment get together which was really nice. I got to visit with all of the kids but I also got my "baby fix", well, now "toddler fix" with my youngest niece, Lucie, which is always fun. So, it was a busy but fun weekend. Unfortunately, it was Greg's weekend to work BUT he is off next weekend so we hope to get some nice time together then:) We just make sure to enjoy his weekends off and he gets days of during the week when he works weekends, so that is nice too.

Finally, I have to tell you what happened this week. I had a flashback to 1986, one night, Greg's Mom and I were waiting for him to come home from football practice. It was Greg's senior year on the Waite High School Football Team. Back then (mid-80s!), Greg had long, thick, really nice hair. It's still thick today but not a long! Anyhow, he walked in the house and he and the other team members had gotten their heads shaved, one side had a "W" on it and the other side, his number. His Mom and I both cried, because we weren't expecting it and he had such nice hair, but we came around and it of course grew back! Well, this has been a favorite story for our kids on those nights when they ask us to tell story after story about when we were growing up.

Forward to this week, 2010. Greg took Nick out for a haircut and when they returned, they came in, I didn't see Nick, but I assumed he'd get his hair shaved for wrestling. I commented to Greg that they were done a really long time. He said to me, "Let me explain" and with those words, I instantly KNEW (and was right) that Nick did something special to his hair. Yep, he got it shaved, one side with a "P" and one side with "11" for his senior year of wrestling. This time around, I was very "zen" about it, as it is just hair and it will grow back, and I knew it was a fun, priceless experience for Greg to take Nick to do this as he had done it over 20 years ago. For that reason, I knew Nick thought it was kind of special too. Very cool!:) We laughed and laughed.

I'll post a couple of Halloween pics soon and get a few pics of Nick's head and try to post them too soon. Until next time, stay healthy and safe:)

Blessings:)
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment