Saturday, October 2, 2010

Ask A Stupid Question, Get A Stupid Answer

Hi all,

When you have a disability or a family member with a disability, you have tons of "stories" like the one I'm about to tell you. I feel like we have so many, I could write a book. The problem is, I remember some of them, but I really need to write them down because there are SO many! Here is one thing that happened just tonight.

Greg was dropping Nick off at a party tonight with his date to the homecoming dance, before the dance. There were some other parents dropping kids off too and leaving this home. Greg took Nick in, took a couple of pictures, got Nick settled and left. As he was leaving, another parent was also leaving after dropping off her son or daughter. She has a younger child with her. She yells out to Greg, "Is your son handicapped?" Greg kind of smiles and laughs to himself because of course, the word "handicapped", along with the boldness of that out of the blue question kind of caught him off guard. He said, "yes, he has cerebral palsy". She replied, "are you just going to leave him here like that?" Greg of course was a combination of shocked, maybe a little offended as she doesn't even know us or Nick, her ignorance, boldness, and a dozen other things.....and he said (with the INTENTION of being a smart-a__ and rightfully so!), "yeah, I'm going to leave him and just let them (the people in the house) deal with him!" and he got in the car. He said she just kind of looked at him with a look of disbelief. If you ask a STUPID question, expect a STUPID answer! What was this lady thinking? It never ceases to amaze us how ignorant people are about disability. (and in general in this case) As I'm writing this, Greg had gotten a call that Nick and his date are ready to go to the dance after this party, so he is now picking them up in our van, as Nick is using a wheelchair of course, to take them to the dance. Of course, he could have just let them walk or hitch a ride, but we don't roll like that ;) Enough said. (deep breath!)

Blessings:)
Amy

3 comments:

  1. hay u should join me in trying to blog every day in honor of DS awairness month. I have cp but do it u should too go to my blog to see more info

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ AZ-I will check out your blog. Can you give us the link?

    @ all-my brother-in-law, Tom, left a great comment on my e-mail:

    You know the old saying…
    “It’s better to be silent and have people suspect you are ignorant than to speak and remove all doubt.”

    Love you all.

    Tom

    Blessings:) Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://unringingthebell.typepad.com/my_weblog/2010/09/4th-annual-31-for-21-blog-challenge.html

    that is for the chalinge and u already have my blog adress

    ReplyDelete