Saturday, March 13, 2010

March 13, 2010 updates (speaking, driving, etc.)

Hi all,

Today I am home by myself on a rainy Saturday nursing quite a headache. Greg, Nick, and Bella are in Bowling Green, Ohio for the youth Olympics as Nick and Coach Boggs are the guest speakers for both sessions. Isabella is competing in the afternoon. The Olympics is put on the the Wood County Prosecutors Office for 4th and 5th graders from all of Wood County, Ohio. For us, it started when Greg got a call a few weeks ago from the Wood County Prosecutor. Greg said, "why would the Prosecutor be calling me?!!! What did I do??? LOL!" Greg called him back and he spoke to Dave Hackenberg, the Toledo Blade reporter who wrote the story in January about Nick and his wrestling. Anyhow, then he asked if Nick and Coach Boggs would speak for the morning and afternoon sessions and of course, Nick said yes. I'm sure they'll all do great and Greg is video-taping Nick and Bella for me. So, I have a rainy afternoon to myself. After this, I may even take a nap, a definite luxury:)

Updates on Team Hyndman, let's see..........Bella and Nick got all A's and B's on their grade cards. Nick made the recognition roll at PHS. Isabella was student of the month in February for demonstrating responsibility and got a pizza lunch with the principal. We are so proud of them both. Nick is finally done with wrestling and we're looking into driving now.

Speaking of driving, Nick had an extensive OT evaluation at UT Medical Center last year which indicated he can drive without many modifications, just a ball on the steering wheel. His reactions times were great, everything. He's got his temps and has practiced with us and his Papa Jagel too. We kind of put it on hold during wrestling. SO, Greg called UT Medical Center as they have started a new driving school for individuals with physical disabilities. We definitely want Nick to do it there. It is $130 an HOUR for driving and then you have to sign up with a regular driving school and pay for the classroom instruction part as UT Medical Center only does the driving part. $130 an hour!!!!! (LUMP in the throat!) We contacted the Rehabilitation Services Commission/Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation (RSC/BVR) for help. We had a meeting with a school liaison for transitioning Nick also. BVR is supposed to assign us a counselor by April and we'll take it from there and see if they can help us with the driving and college for Nick after high school. (he'll be a senior next year!) It's just going to take awhile but in the mean time, Nick is practicing driving more with Greg and his Papa. Nothing is ever a simple, easy process when you have a disability. There is always extra time, extra steps to take, more paperwork, meeting, and hoops to jump through. I get frustrated at times when other people don't understand this and take their healthy life/kids for granted. I know that sounds bitter. It's NOT at all. I'm just trying to share honestly how I feel at times (not all of the time!) as I have a feeling I'm not the only one who has these feelings from time to time. I of course don't wish this on anyone, I just get frustrated with others who don't understand it or take it for granted. It feels like a punch in the gut sometimes.

Greg, Nick, Bella, and I, Team Hyndman, are speaking on Monday for the staff (all of the staff) from the Sandusky County Board of DD for their staff in-service. We are excited and it should be a great experience for all of us. We hope to share some good information and perspective, and not put anyone to sleep:) LOL!

My work at Hospice is still going GREAT. I love it and it changes the entire way I view life. I don't even entertain the small and petty stuff lately. I think this is going to be the best job I've had so far in many ways. Also, I have just a few more weeks until my deadline to submit an article to Exceptional Parent Magazine so I need to get to writing this week and finish it up! Greg is still working hard and we are looking forward to the kids' spring break the week after Easter. Have some things planned but not a BIG trip, as we hope to take a big trip over Xmas break this year, we'll see........

Finally, I met the Aunt of a 25- year old East Toledo man last night named Ernie Berry (http://www.ernieberry.com/). Ernie is blind and a wheelchair user, has a service dog, is a professor at UT and works for city government, a Masters degree (and more) and just wrote a book titled, "Tried, Tested, and Being Approved". He has a website, which I listed above and he's on Facebook as well. You can buy the book at Amazon.com, Borders, and I think Barnes and Noble. I just ordered it and can't wait to read it and meet him sometime soon I hope. Nick plans to contact him as it sounds like (from talking to his Aunt) like they have similar personalities and sense of humor, etc. So, check it out:)

Blessings:)
Amy

PS- Here is a short description of Ernie's book from his website:

In this autobiography,Tried, Tested, and Being Approved, Ernie Berry speaks candidly of the physical, psychological, and emotional issues involved in living with and overcoming two acute debilitating handicaps. This book is intended to inspire, encourage, and edify readers in all situations by relaying the message that overwhelming success can be achieved when driven by goals and dreams that they cannot achieve through their own efforts. (www.ernieberry.com)

3 comments:

  1. What a great update! Nick has certainly accomplished so much this year and has made so many proud (even those who don't know him personally, or who know him indirectly)! Thanks for sharing all the good news and exciting events.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merci.

    Good to hear about Nick and driving.

    You know of course that nothing is so simple and easy.

    The ball isn't so hard.

    Am looking forward to Ernie Berry.

    Bella and the pizza lunch with the principal. We've heard great stuff about Bella - on this very blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the great comments. Glad to hear the driving ball isn't too hard. I appreciate your reading the blog and keeping up with us so much. Thanks for the support:)
    Amy

    ReplyDelete