Wednesday, December 16, 2009

December 2009 update






















Hi everyone!
December is always so busy for us and this December is no exception! (I'm sure many of you can relate!)
We are all finally healthy and rid of the flu. We started out this month with Isabella's fourth grade holiday program which was fantastic. They sang and played the recorder and did great. We had "Santa and his helper", Uncle Frank and Aunt Marcia (Frank plays Santa for a lot of area events!), come to my parent's home and we had a fun day with the family, our nieces and nephews, and Nick's friend, Shannon, joined us. Isabella had a dance performance at Levis
Commons and got to see Santa there as well with her dance group. We also celebrated Christmas already with Greg's side of the family last weekend as everyone is unable to get together on Christmas or lives out of town, etc. The kids have had lots going on at school (projects, reports, etc.) as they are getting ready for the holiday break. Combined with the usual family activities, it seems like every day in December, at least the weekends, is double or triple booked. We were not able to make it to several of the Christmas parties we normally go to as they were on the same day as other events, etc.

One big thing going on this month is Nick's wrestling. I wrote previously about Nick joining the wrestling team at Perrysburg High School. After having the flu, he got back into practice. It's been tough on him because it is a tough sport and tough on everyone and then with having cerebral palsy, the physical pain and exhaustion has been difficult to watch. He is loving it though. He had a couple of matches so far and lasted 19 and 14 seconds, then 2 min. 24 seconds. While I think he's disappointed at that and kept apologizing to the coaches and team, we reminded him that he's never wrestled before (this is brand new), he's just started, and he has cerebral palsy to top it off, so he has to use different techniques, etc . No matter what, it's not good or bad, it's just a fact, the CP is always a factor and it seems as if Nick doesn't think about that. The first match, last Thursday December 10th, as a mother, I was practically in tears over the anticipation and waiting. It's not easy to watch someone doing those things to your child at all. I did ok though and was so happy for him! My Dad was crying when it was over just because Nick did it. ( me almost too!) He's so determined to do this. I have to admit, I am not "loving" it as a "mom" but I totally support Nick and his decision on this 100% and from his writings, I know why he is doing it and understand it. (see previous blog where I included Nick's writing about this!) So, we continue to take it day by day, week by week, and see where it goes. However it turns out in the end, Nick has done it. We hope to get some video of it and I hope to be able to put that on the computer and on this blog in the future. One side note....Nick's walking is probably the best it's ever been. It's probably because of the working out and his gaining strength, but I was shocked when I saw him walk out to and from his match! WOW!!!! It's hard to explain this but when you get a picture of someone in your head, I am so used to seeing Nick in his wheelchair, in his Segway, or his walker. I am not used to seeing him standing up straight, walking without any assistance or equipment, no leg braces, just walking, and not falling. I was stunned and speechless really. It took my breath away!:) This was different than his walking I've seen prior to this. It was stronger, more stable, and it's hard to picture but now I can't get that picture out of my head. Anyhow, GO NICK!!!!!!:)

I can't believe it's December 16th and I have not even thought about Christmas Cards yet! Last year, Nick was doing intensive rehab. Thanksgiving through the New Year, five or six days a week, about five hours a day, so we never got to it. I don't have that excuse this year! Time is just flying by and the month is filled with fun, but a lot of activities! I can't wait to have the kids home over Christmas break and to spend time with them:)

I want to thank everyone for reading the blog and keeping up with us. I hope to get more readers this year and to make contact with others, which was one of the main reasons I started this blog. I hope everyone is having a wonderful month so far! I'll be writing more soon!
Blessings:)
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment