Monday, July 27, 2009

Nick's baseball game yesterday






The GREATEST thing happened at Nick's baseball game yesterday! Nick plays challenger league baseball for The Jets/The Greater Toledo Challenger League. He's played for the past 10 years or so.
Yesterday, Nick decided not to use his wheelchair as it is broken and we are waiting for his new chair. Greg worked yesterday so we couldn't bring Nick's Segway ( I can't lift it in our van by myself!) and so he used his walker to get to the field.
THEN he just decided, first time ever, to leave his walker and he walked out to the field on his own and he hit the ball on his knees, stood up all by himself, steadied himself and walked all of the bases on his own, no walker, no help, anything! I was so "in the moment", cheering, trying not to cry, yelling, etc., I never got any pictures of this, but here are a few pics of us yesterday. Notice he is standing up, all by himself in pics with me and Isabella. (and he's taller than me!) So amazing! In the other pic, he is on his knees, throwing the ball with my Dad and his friend Jessie before the game. After he did this, he stood over home plate and told me he said a prayer, thanking God that he could do that and for the game, and "dedicating" the game to his Dad (who missed it because he had to work) because his Dad has held Nick in his arms for the past 10 years, running the bases as Nick's "legs" because Nick wanted to feel what it was like to run without his chair or walker. That really touched me. I thought, how SWEET is that? WOW, all I can say is WOW! What a memorable day!
Life is good! Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment